New Real Madrid signing Diego Lopez has hailed his return to the club as a dream .
The 31-year-old goalkeeper spent seven years at Real Madrid before moving to Villarreal in 2007, where he made over 200 appearances.
A move to Sevilla followed at the end of the 2011-12 season but Lopez has struggled for first-team football at the club, featuring in just eight La Liga matches this campaign.
With Real Madrid shot-stopper Iker Casillas sidelined for up to three months with a broken left hand, manager Jose Mourinho acted swiftly to secure the services of Lopez.
And Lopez was delighted to sign for the Spanish giants again.
It is a dream to return home, Lopez told EFE.
Today the deal has happened very fast and I am very happy to return to the place I consider my home.
For a Mad…
The biggest signing in the Bundesliga will spend the season on the bench.
Bayern Munich invested more than $105 million in new stars last season and the club-record outlay paid off when it swept the German league and cup titles. This season, Bayern did not spend a cent on new players. Perhaps GermanyÂ’s richest club could not afford any after the arrival of Jurgen Klinsmann as coach.
Klinsmann replaced Ottmar Hitzfeld, who left to coach SwitzerlandÂ’s national team. Klinsmann, who two years ago turned down the chance to coach the U.S. national team, left his southern California home and brought along an 11-member international support staff that includes Canadians, Americans and Brazilians.
He set up a new high-tech training centre, a chill…
Leandro Trossard played a starring role as Premier League leaders Arsenal restored their five-point lead at the summit with a 3-0 victory over Fulham.
The Belgium international claimed a hat-trick of assists at Craven Cottage, with Gabriel Magalhaes, Gabriel Martinelli and Martin Odegaard all profiting.
Mikel Arteta s side subsequently became the first side in the history of English league football to win five successive away London derbies without conceding a single goal.
Arsenal, who welcomed Gabriel Jesus back from injury, also made it five straight Premier League victories in all as they took another step towards the title.
The Gunners thought they had taken the lead when Antonee Robinson put through his own net in the 16th minute, but the VAR ruled M…
Paris Saint-Germain have completed their second signing of the day, bringing in defender Thomas Meunier on a four-year-deal from Club Brugge.
The Ligue 1 champions had earlier announced the capture of midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak from Sevilla, and Meunier follows him in making the move to Parc des Princes, signing until the end of the 2019-20 season.
Right-back Meunier impressed at Euro 2016 for Belgium, who were knocked out in the quarter-finals by Wales on Friday.
The 24-year-old had been linked with Napoli, but it is PSG who have sealed his signature, having also brought in Hatem Ben Arfa in addition to recruiting Krychowiak.
Proud to announce my transfer to ! A new step, a new adventure!
— Thomas Meunier (@ThomMills)
I am ver…
Premier League target Lucas Alario said he watches every Barcelona game to learn from Luis Suarez as he looks to complete a move abroad.
The 23-year-old River Plate striker has been heavily linked with a move to Tottenham to work under fellow Argentinian Mauricio Pochettino, while Liverpool are also reportedly keeping tabs on him.
Alario has been in fine form since joining River from Colon in 2015, scoring a goal almost every second game for the Argentine giants.
The centre forward found the net in River s 3-0 aggregate win over Tigres UANL in the 2015 Copa Libertadores final, which sealed their spot in the Club World Cup later in the year.
It was there Alario was exposed to the genius of Barca striker Suarez, who scored a hat-trick as the Catalan s…
Manchester City cannot afford to put a foot wrong in the latter stages of the season if they have any hope of retaining the Premier League title.
Starting with Newcastle on Saturday, Roberto Mancini s men must embark on a faultless winning streak and hope Manchester United choke on their seemingly unassailable 15-point lead.
As unlikely as that may seem, Mancini will have his own personal ambitions at the forefront with the very real possibility he may not be at the Etihad next season.
City were woeful last time out in a 2-0 loss to Everton at Goodison Park and, realistically, will be eyeing a chance at silverware in the FA Cup final against either Chelsea or United, rather than any league ambitions.
Mancini will be hoping Sergio Aguero and skipper Vincen…
Swansea have announced on their official website that they have signed midfielder Jonathan De Guzman on a season-long loan from Villarreal.
The highly rated midfielder thus became the second addition to the squad since the arrival of coach Michael Laudrup, after defender Jose Manuel Flores joined the club from Genoa.
The 24-year-old will now be reunited with the Danish manager, after the pair worked together during the 2010/2011 season at Mallorca.
The Canadian-born player was delighted to join a club that have largely impressed in the Premier League last season.
“I watched Premier League football every week on the TV last season. I was aware that Swansea are a good footballing side, but they really caught my eye when they beat Manchester City,” the …
Barcelona midfielder Nico Gonzalez has completed a season-long loan move to LaLiga rivals Valencia.
The 20-year-old broke into Barca s first team last season, scoring two goals and providing as many assists in 37 appearances.
With Franck Kessie among the Blaugrana s new signings and Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva reportedly a target, Nico informed Xavi he wanted to move on in order to be given more playing time.
Valencia on Saturday confirmed Nico, who has also signed a new deal with Barca until 2026, will spend the 2022-23 campaign at the Mestalla Stadium.
— Valencia CF (@valenciacf_en)
Barca s head coach Xavi on Friday stated that he had mixed feelings over Nico s temporary switch.
He said: [Nico] came t…
Makeshift centre-back Fernandinho denied his move from midfield to defence was the reason for Manchester City s mediocre run of results.
Pep Guardiola s men have drawn or lost three of their past five Premier League matches and sit 17 points adrift of leaders Liverpool going into Sunday s away game against Arsenal.
The decision not to replace Vincent Kompany has created headaches, particularly after Aymeric Laporte underwent knee surgery in September.
Fernandinho, 34, was forced to vacate his natural role at the base of midfield to plug the hole in central defence.
But the Brazilian insisted the change had not been a major issue, despite City s failure to keep a clean sheet in 10 matches across all competitions.
The job you do at the back is so…
Ben Mee has signed a new three-year contract at Premier League newcomers Burnley.
The defender, who can play at either centre-half or left-back, moved to Turf Moor permanently from Manchester City in 2012 after a productive loan spell.
Mee played a key role in Burnley s promotion from the Championship in 2013-14, making 38 league appearances as Sean Dyche s men ended the campaign with the best defensive record in the division.
With his previous deal having been set to expire at the end of the upcoming season, the club announced on Wednesday that the 24-year-old had agreed new terms.
I m absolutely delighted to sign for another three years here, he told Burnley s official website.
I ve enjoyed my time so far and hopefully we can have many more se…